Youth Mental Health First Aider Course
The Youth Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) course is an internationally recognised course designed specifically for those people that teach, work, live with or care for young people aged 8 to 18 years.
Participants will learn how to:
– Provide information, tools and techniques to promote a young person’s mental and emotional wellbeing
– Support a young person who might be experiencing mental and emotional distress.
Youth MHFA course is split into four manageable chunks. These are
– What is mental health?
– Depression and anxiety
– Suicide and psychosis
– Self-harm and eating disorders.
Within each section, there is a clear focus on the issues faced by young people today, including bullying/cyberbullying and substance misuse. The course also teaches the importance of promoting wellbeing and protective factors.
In each section participants will learn how to:
- Spot the early signs of a mental health issue in young people
- Feel confident helping a young person experiencing mental ill-health
- Provide help on a first aid basis
- Help protect a young person who might be at risk of harm
- Help prevent a mental health issue from getting worse
- Help a young person recover faster
- Guide a young person towards the right support
- Reduce the stigma of mental health issues.
The Youth MHFA course takes place over two full days. However, the delivery of the course is flexible and we can deliver the training over a number of sessions to suit your timetable.
The sessions will be a mix of presentations, discussions, and group work activities. Our instructors provide a safe learning environment and are trained to support learners throughout the whole course.
Due to some of the sensitive subjects on the course, we limit numbers to 16 people. We want everyone to feel safe and our instructors can help if people find some parts particularly difficult.
Everyone who attends the course will receive a copy of the Youth MHFA manual and workbook, which are both excellent support resources. Participants who complete the course will receive a certificate to confirm that they are a trained Youth Mental Health First Aider.
The course is for everyone and is relevant for people who teach, work, live with and care for 8 to 18 year olds.
Our experienced instructors can deliver this training at clients’ own premises, or at our Head Office in Andover. Please contact us to discuss your specific needs at firstname.lastname@example.org
Date of Course
Further Information & To Book