We support The Armed Forces, veterans, NHS staff, blue light services, The Merchant Navy & their immediate family when they are receiving treatment in hospital or are on a medical care pathway. We have teams of welfare staff operating in hospitals across the UK and Cyprus who deliver a professional and confidential welfare service.
The service provided to my wife and myself was superb. In my 30-year career, I have never experienced such top quality welfare support. Nothing was too challenging, the commitment exemplary.
How we help the patient:
DMWS offers a free, comprehensive and confidential medical welfare service to patients and their immediate family. Practical and emotional support tailored to individual needs include:
- Bedside visits and telephone support
- A confidential and impartial Listening Ear Service
- Help with resolving any medical care issues and to understand your treatment
- Practical help such as providing toiletries and clothing
- Providing your family with emotional and practical support when they visit you, and at home
- Supporting you and your family when talking with your medical team
- Help to make sure you have support and services in place when you leave hospital – We help to find solutions and provide onward supported referrals.
- Accompanying and supporting you at Outpatient Appointments and community or home based treatment
- Supporting you and your family to access services that can help you at home
Emotional and practical support
We offer both practical and emotional assistance. We are ready to listen to patients’ worries and fears and to help them face them. On a more practical side we can organise additional toiletry items, a set of fresh clothes, books or magazines. We also provide activity packs for children, to keep them busy at the hospital.
Intelligent, supported referrals
DMWS welfare officers and staff can refer an individual, their family, carers, and health and social care partners, to a specialist agency where a specific need is identified. We help to find solutions and provide onward supported referrals.
Support for the seriously ill and bereaved
We are able visit the seriously ill daily, although the wishes of the patient and the family are paramount in relation to the frequency of our contact. We ensure that all families in this particularly distressing situation are aware of our support, should they need us. DMWS accompanies families to critical care and specialist units. In the event of bereavement, our welfare officers provide immediate support, and can accompany families to viewings of their loved ones.
In some hospitals we are on call for emergency admissions, overnight and at weekends. We offer support to patients in all circumstances. Our help is diverse and of the highest standard. We can be found in every area of a hospital – wherever we are needed, from ITU, Oncology and A&E through to Maternity and Paediatric Wards.
How we help healthcare providers:
We not only support the patient and his/her family but also the health care providers by freeing up clinical staff to concentrate on their core duties. The welfare and well-being services provided by DMWS Enable:
- Reduces the likelihood of issues escalating into a crisis
- Enables Independent Living & reduces Social Isolation by making supported connections local to the patient
- Addresses Delayed Transfer of Care, Delayed Discharge, and Improves Bed Flow
- Capacity generator – Release clinicians to do clinical work
- Improves patient experience
- Identifies support when the patient is at home to prevent unnecessary re-admissions / admission avoidance
- Provides Experts in NHS, Statutory, and 3Sector Health & Social Care, Care Navigation, Social Prescribing and a Single Point of Contact
- Provides Experts in specialist military organisations and the services that are available to a veteran
- DMWS Delivers the government pledged Armed Forces Covenant
How we help employers:
We help employers such as the Police and the Armed Forces to demonstrate that they take their Duty of Care obligations seriously and contribute to a swifter discharge from hospital, a quicker recovery for the patient and an earlier return to work.
Need our support?
If you are part of the Armed Forces community, a veteran, NHS staff, blue light services or The Merchant Navy and receiving treatment in hospital or community based health care and need our support please contact our referral helpline on:
Telephone: 0800 999 3697
For General Enquiry Contact at DMWS Headquarters:
Telephone: 01264 774 000
Emergency Response Service (ERS)
We also provide a UK wide telephone welfare support service via the DMWS Emergency Response Service. This enables us to reach those needing our support who are receiving treatment in hospital where there is not a DMWS welfare officer in residence. Telephone: 0800 999 3697 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org